Bruxo Mezcal is 100% artisanal. There are four expressions, all made in Oaxaca. But, each expression is made by a different Master Mezcalero in a different community in Mexico. Each Master has his own technique and several types of agaves are used, including wild agave, but they all use the conical pittype oven, copper stills, and (often) two distillations.The bottles are labeled Bruxo 1, Bruxo 2, Bruxo 3 and Bruxo 4. On the back of each bottle is the lot number and the total number of bottles produced. As you taste through the four expressions of Bruxo Mezcal, you may find your favorite style and can then just walk into a bar and ask for it by number.
How it's Produced:
- COLLECT agaves between 7 and 30 years, to be ready to be harvested and cut the leaves, leaving only her heart.
- Bake agave hearts in a conical oven made in the earth in an exciting process that lasts up to 4 days.
- Grind the hearts baked in a round stone through bakery pulled by a horse.
- Ferment the juice in wooden vats, cow leather or plastic and add water. Wine yeasts act between 3 and 15 days.
- Distill in copper stills or clay pots. We distill 2 or 3 times, depending on the teacher's secret recipe.
- Integrate the different distillates based on experience, shared from generation to generation among mezcaleros teachers.